Sunday, December 16, 2007

RIP HIE

A link at A Photo Editor reports that Kodak will cease production of their HIE infrared film after this year. While I suppose this was inevitable, it still makes me sad. In the early years of this decade I shot HIE fairly regularly, probably every 10th roll or so. You never knew exactly how the photos would turn out. The film was great on summer days when bright mid-day light made normal film look blown out and boring. Good any old time actually. I gradually stopped using it because it was expensive and because it had become somewhat of an artistic crutch. Any photo shot with that film is really dominated by a certain look.

There are a few substitutes out there but I never liked them as much as HIE. Anyway I suspect all infrared films will eventually go the way of HIE and perhaps all films period.







No comments: