Monday, October 22, 2012

6 month gap

I've now fallen exactly 6 months behind in my workflow, meaning I'm currently printing from film I exposed in April. The 6 month gap is amazing! It's like opposite day. I look outside today and leaves are turning yellow, but in my photos spring is just blooming. Baseball playoffs are wrapping up, but in my photos we're just coming out of spring training. In a few months I'll be inside during a snowstorm printing photos of swimming pools.

I've written before about creating separation between shooting and printing. (The ideal would be to induce total amnesia or have someone else take your photos for you, but those solutions create other problems) But until now my gap has been inexact. Inadvertently through backlog and chance I've discovered the 6 month window and I think it's quite powerful. 18 months or 30 months would probably work just as well, and I will probably hit those gaps in another decade or so. For now I'm printing as fast as I can to keep the 6 month gap from widening.

Here are 31 from last April:



































7 comments:

David Simonton said...

Damn! If I produced this much good work in six YEARS (give or take) I'd be happy. You have to be thrilled with this yield! What a pleasure it is to see such strong work—however long it took to percolate.

John said...

that billiards shot is super funny.

Jack f-ing Nelson said...

I'm still editing scanned transparencies from the 1970's so 6 months is admirable. Nice work. The billiard shot, the shark? shadow on the stairs, the last portrait and others are real good.

matty said...

Lovely, lovely. Thanks for posting these; been too long seen we've seen some of yours...

Blake Andrews said...

Jack Nelson, when editing stuff from the 1970s try a 6 month gap. Edit 1970s winter scenes in 2012 summer, spring in fall, etc.

Muzzy said...

HI, can I ask what you are shooting on?

Blake Andrews said...

All shot on Arista Premium film. Mostly using an M6. Some shot with Konica Hexar.