Saturday, November 24, 2007

Faulty memory?

While researching photos for the (11/22) Legacy post, there was one image I couldn't find and it really bugged me. I remember a photo by Joel Meyerowitz of his daughter Ariel. It's a nude photo taken around the time of puberty. I think it's in his Redheads book but since I don't have that one I tried to look the photo up on the web. I can find no record of that photo online, even in Meyerowitz's extensive website which seems to include most of his work. One explanation is that I am just imagining this photo. My memory is faulty and I am mixing it up with some other image by some other photographer. The other explanation, which seems more interesting, is that this photograph has been consciously removed from easy circulation by Meyerowitz, perhaps in concert with his daughter who now runs a successful NY art gallery. If this is the case it would cast an interesting light on the decision of some photographers to publish sensitive images of their kids, for here it would seem the decision was later regretted and and an attempt made at reversing it.

If anyone out there has a copy of Redheads or knows the image I'm talking about please email me to let me know if I'm crazy or not.

No comments: