Thursday, August 28, 2014

Nils Jorgensen: What Was He Thinking?

Nils Jorgensen is a minimalist based in London.

•
  

Describe what was happening at the moment of exposure - Nothing as far as I recall.  I was wandering about, in a bit of a dream no doubt.

What were you thinking? - I do not remember.  It’s a while back.

What were you looking for? - I don’t remember that either, but not a sequence, which was something which occurred to me later.

What caught your interest visually?  - The two of them, they looked nice.

Was it a one-off or did you stalk a certain situation? - A one off.

Was there any reaction from people you shot?  - No.

Did the image come out as you expected?  - No. 

•


Describe what was happening at the moment of exposure - Nothing.

What were you thinking?  - Very little. 

What were you looking for?  - The crowds made nice shapes.

What caught your interest visually?  - Just the crowds.

Was it a one-off or did you stalk a certain situation? - One off.

Was there any reaction from people you shot? - No.

Did the image come out as you expected?  - Not at all.  A lucky shot. 

•



Describe what was happening at the moment of exposure - I was out shopping.

What were you thinking? - I was excited about trying out a new lens.  

What were you looking for?  - Everything you see in the frame.

What caught your interest visually?  - The shape of the paper in his briefcase.  

Was it a one-off or did you stalk a certain situation? - One off.

Was there any reaction from people you shot? - No.

Did the image come out as you expected?  - Yes.


•



Describe what was happening at the moment of exposure -  Nothing except what you see.

What were you thinking?  -I liked the people merging with the statues.  

What were you looking for? - That’s it.  

What caught your interest visually?  - I liked the merging bit. 

Was it a one-off or did you stalk a certain situation?  - A one off.

Was there any reaction from people you shot? - No.

Did the image come out as you expected?  - Yes.  


•


Describe what was happening at the moment of exposure - He was having a wee. 

What were you thinking?  - I need a wee too. 

What were you looking for? - A free urinal.

What caught your interest visually? - The free urinals and the drum.

Was it a one-off or did you stalk a certain situation?  - A one off.

Was there any reaction from people you shot? - No.  

Did the image come out as you expected?  - Yes. 

•



Describe what was happening at the moment of exposure  - It was raining.

What were you thinking?  - I thought how fortunate she crouched down just there, against the dark wall, just then. She was only looking at her Filofax. 

What were you looking for?  - Symbolism.  

What caught your interest visually?  - What wouldn’t catch my eye? It’s a wonderful street thing. It’s everything that’s exciting about street photography for me.  

Was it a one-off or did you stalk a certain situation?  - One off.

Was there any reaction from people you shot? - No. 

Did the image come out as you expected?  - Yes.  

•


Describe what was happening at the moment of exposure?  - A party.

What were you thinking?  - Time for another drink.  

What were you looking for?  - Another drink.

What caught your interest visually?  - I’m not sure. Her legs? Her eyes? I can’t remember.

Was it a one-off or did you stalk a certain situation?  - A one off.

Was there any reaction from people you shot? - No. Though it was taken with flash, so I guess they must have noticed me. Though they were lost in each other. I know I’d have been lost.   

Did the image come out as you expected?  - No.
  
•
  


Describe what was happening at the moment of exposure - I was having a drink with my good friend Nick Turpin.

What were you thinking?  - What a nice evening it was.  

What were you looking for?  - The couple looked serene and happy, to take a picture of that.

What caught your interest visually?  - I’m not sure.  There’s not much happening really.

Was it a one-off or did you stalk a certain situation?  - A one off.

Was there any reaction from people you shot? - No. But a short while afterwards the couple got up to leave and I showed them my picture, and they liked it. I didn’t get any contact details unfortunately. I hope they are still together and might contact me one day.  

Did the image come out as you expected?  - No.
  
•
  



Describe what was happening at the moment of exposure? -  I was feeling incredibly sad and in some degree of distress.

What were you thinking?  - My mind was in turmoil.

What were you looking for? -  Picture-wise?  I wasn’t looking for anything.  I forced myself to take it. 

What caught your interest visually?  - Her hand.  Her hair.

Was it a one-off or did you stalk a certain situation?  - One off.  Isn’t any street pic a one-off, or else it is nothing?  Ok, let’s not go down there. 

Was there any reaction from people you shot? - She kept on sleeping. 

Did the image come out as you expected?  - No.  
  
•
  


Describe what was happening at the moment of exposure - Just as you see in the picture.

What were you thinking?  - How amazing.  

What were you looking for?  - To get the knot and her fingers at just the right moment and the man’s legs too. 

What caught your interest visually?  - The knot.

Was it a one-off or did you stalk a certain situation?  - One off.

Was there any reaction from people you shot? - No.  

Did the image come out as you expected?  - No. 

2 comments:

Vasco said...

Well, alright then :)

binotto said...

I found that really interesting! Thanks for posting Blake, and for sharing Nils.