Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mysterious sun of a beach

In response to yesterday's post about the Clayden Effect, Jack Nelson sent me this black sun photo he shot in the 1970s.


We've solved the black sun problem but why are there two suns? Jack has no idea. I have no idea. I thought I'd throw it up on the blog and see if someone can decipher it.

According to Jack he shot this on either a cut film negative or a paper negative using an old folding camera. Beyond that he can't remember details. It was the 1970s after all, a crazy decade in many ways. Yet if I recall correctly, a decade with only one sun.

How about it. Can anyone explain this photo?

8 comments:

Martino said...

Some sort of ghosting? I get that with UV filters. Corresponding reflections in the lower left and right corners fall on dark areas and thus invisible.

Robert Gumpert said...

As a photographer who did all his own darkroom work I would say both black dots with halo effect are caused by air bubbles during the development of the film. Usually happens when there wasn't enough agitation.

spence said...

It's odd that there isn't any light reflection in the water, especially on the right-side sun.

spence said...

....or lens flare for that matter.

crnigjuro said...

..Looks like sundog(s) to me...

Blake Andrews said...

Interesting ideas. I'm intrigued by the air bubble idea, but I've never had air bubbles make a mark that perfect. Usually there is at least a little development near the bubble since it's hard for a bubble to stay in one place for the entire develpment unless there's absolutely zero agitation. But hard to say without knowing anything about the development or even if it was film or paper.

At this point I'm leaning toward the two sun theory. I think there was an extra sun that day which quickly went away. But I could be wrong.

GaryS said...

The seventies I remember could well have had 2 suns.

jacques philippe said...

No idea what was happening but that spot surely looked like a perfect no flash corner.